The last post was number 500. Somehow that blasted past me without my notice. Hurray!
I’ve never written a word about health and diet. It just ain’t my thing. I love good food and have simply enjoyed it along the way.
Sometime in July, without any planning or forethought I installed Loseit on my iPhone. I came across a mention on a Facebook entry and was curious. Once it was installed I began to track my eating habits. When I did this I weighed about 238 lbs. and considered myself “a little heavy”.
Since that day–when I simply wanted to tinker with an app–I’ve dropped nearly fifty lbs. (I expect to hit Geoff minus 50 in the next 4-5 days.)
I damned proud of myself. I’ve dropped 2-3 waist sizes and 2 shirt sizes. This morning a grabbed a 50 lb. bag of birdseed and was shocked at the weight and bulk I used to carry.
My purpose here is not to brag or to gloat. I don’t even want to hold myself up as an example.
I do want to tell folks why they should find a way to lose the weight they need to lose.
1. The pain is gone. Alright it’s not gone, but it’s so much better. My knees ached. My feet ached. My back ached. It was a job to get straightened up in the morning. I was headed for canes, walkers, arthritis–who knows what–but my pains are now limited to what should be reasonable for a 50 year old man.
I teach school and swore, from the time I was a young teacher, that I would never be too out of shape to sit on the floor with students, sit in their tiny chairs and climb the stairs in the school. I’ve kept to this, but the grunting and huffing when I got off the floor were not flattering.
2. It’s hard to be hungry all for the time, but it’s worth it. Almost every morning I celebrate another tiny drop. They add up fast.
3. Your clothes fit better. A no brainer, but probably the greatest change is my attitude about what I wear. There are stores where I would never shop. I thought their clothes were for younger men–kids. I wear those clothes now. They weren’t for kids, they were for smaller bodied men.
Clothing has become fun. There is no thrill like dropping a waist size. I go to the store and try on clothes for fun!
4. You’ll sleep better. I’ve suffered years of diagnosed sleep disorders. I did crazy things in my sleep. I fell asleep at odd times in odd places. I stared at clocks until 2:00 or 3:00 am on school nights (mornings?). No more. I look forward to going to bed because I sleep. Like a baby.
5. You will be able to reach things. Trimming toenails is hard for big folks. Reaching other important stuff is even more difficult.
6. You’ll be happier. Here are things I was unhappy about that we’re weight related and I didn’t even know it. The picture above (the one on the left) I shot to use for a promotional piece. When I saw it I hated it. I didn’t know why. I do now. I’m fat and badly shaven. I never expected that photo to see the light of day. Now I’m using all the time!
7. You’ll just feel better. I cannot imagine carrying around that 50 lb. bag of bird food all the time. How exhausted that must have made me. How uncomfortable I was sitting in a car or on the sofa or laying in bed.
Many “potty problems” and stomach ailments has vanished. I no longer take antacids–ever. My improved diet and health have taken care of the these problems.
I’ve 25 more lbs. to lose. I can’t wait!